Saturday, December 19, 2020

It feels a bit like having an affair - and fun discoveries

 Last Tuesday we had our first lesson with a local Dutch top dressage trainer, Vanessa. I had contemplated it for some time, but it felt a bit like cheating on Roz. However, Roz is in Florida, and we are here. (I'm sure glad JP didn't use that argument when Remy and I were in Florida and he was here 😉). 

We are a bit 'off-kilter', our winter boarding is not working out too great. I know I'm a Type A, and when it comes to my horse's health and safety my hackles go up immediately when things are not like they should be. The barn workers got an email from the owner stating "... as Remy's owner is picky..". Guilty as charged! Also Remy and I can't be left alone to our own devices for too long. We (I!) need the occasional kick in the pants to stay on the straight and narrow - otherwise we'll just play... when the cat is away. Vanessa had watched our lessons with Lilo, and knew what to work on instantly. It was fun, and we learned a lot. Hopefully, we can continue working with her at least once a week during the winter. 

A fun discovery was a present from a trainer and barn owner: Julie is a student of Bettina Drummond's and has done a lot of in-hand work with her. I mentioned I would love to learn more, so Julie gave me a Christmas present in the form of an in-hand lesson with her trained horse, Keegan. I learned how to move the bit in the horses mouth (rotate) for forward and back, how to bounce the whip straight up with my index finger and where/how to touch the horse. Keegan does shoulder-in, haunches-in, half-pass, renvers with the softest feel from the ground. Can't wait to learn more! Even if the ground outside is not good for riding we can still work on fun things. 

This came at the right time, as I definitely fell into a funk this week with my birthday. It helped that my family and friends rallied from a distance, with quotes like "the only whining should be done with wine!". Duly noted!

JPs cousin, Claude, had posted a beautiful poem on FB, and it really spoke to me (see below). Ingrid, you will love this one, too, I'm sure:

Saveur de mots:

Le temps s’est écoulé comme une rivière, je ne l’ai pas vu passer !
🍃🌹J’ai compté mes années et j’ai découvert que j’ai moins de temps à vivre ici que je n’en ai déjà vécu.
Je n’ai désormais pas le temps pour des réunions interminables, où on discute de statuts, de règles, de procédures et de règles internes, sachant qu’il ne se combinera rien…
Je n’ai pas le temps de supporter des gens absurdes qui, en dépit de leur âge, n’ont pas grandi.
Je n’ai pas le temps de négocier avec la médiocrité.
Je ne veux pas être dans des réunions où les gens et leur ego défilent.
Les gens ne discutent pas du contenu, à peine des titres.
Mon temps est trop faible pour discuter de titres.
Je veux vivre à côté de gens humains, très humains.
Qui savent sourire de leurs erreurs.
Qui ne se glorifient pas de victoires.
Qui défendent la dignité humaine et qui ne souhaitent qu’être du côté de la vérité et de l’honnêteté.
L’essentiel est ce qui fait que la vie vaut la peine d’être vécue.
Je veux m’entourer de gens qui savent arriver au cœur des gens.
Les gens à qui les coups durs de la vie ont appris à grandir avec des caresses minces dans l’âme.
Oui… J’ai hâte… de vivre avec intensité, que seule la maturité peut me donner.
J’exige de ne pas gaspiller un bonbon de ce qu’il me reste…
Je suis sûr qu’ils seront plus délicieux que ceux que j’ai mangés jusqu’à présent – personne n’y échappe, riche, pauvre, intelligent, démuni … ”🌹🍃
~André-Gide~


No comments:

Post a Comment