Sunday, December 6, 2020

Sadness and Happiness - and hooked on something new

My dear friend Antje in Germany just lost her husband Axel to Covid related complications. Axel was treated in the hospital (unrelated to Covid), and got infected there. I hurt for her, it's so sad. And of course, to make it even more difficult, Antje now is on two weeks quarantine. No personal contact for consolations. Only phone and WhatsApp.. but I guess we should be grateful for modern technology, otherwise we would have to resort to "Per AirMail". Incidentally, I still have a lot of AirMail letters from friends and family. 

Then this morning I saw a FB reminder - 10 years ago I lost the best mare ever. Crissy was my heart horse, a gift from JP to our first anniversary. I had arrived in the US in December, and in February I got a spunky four year old Morgan mare. She was 23 when we had to make the painful decision not to have her suffer through another Michigan winter as her Arthritis was very bad. I so wish I would have had a better vet and to have known then what I know now! 

Crissy (Broadway Crescendo)
1987 - 2010

Today is December 6: Nikolaus Tag in Germany, where good children receive gifts, and if they have an Adventskalendar there is usually a bit of a bigger gift in it. As every year Stephanie went all out with my Adventskalender. She sent 24 lovingly selected, wrapped, and labeled gifts for each day from December 1 to Christmas. Nikolaus/Stephanie meant especially well with me today!

The label text was lovingly selected by Stephanie, 
and then laser etched by her son Bernhard

Then this afternoon JP, Chambord, Remy and I tried our hand at Working Equitation with Brandt. It was WE combined with some police horse training, and the four of us had great fun. It was such a good confidence builder. I loved how the dressage work came into play, i.e. half pass in between narrow boundaries, pick up a large stick stuck in a traffic cone, turn on the forehand, half pass along the other side and put the stick back in another cone. I think we got hooked😊


No comments:

Post a Comment