Saturday, April 2, 2011

Always audit first before signing up to a clinic

Today Linda and I made a road trip to audit a clinic with a recommended and well-known clinician. I was intrigued by the testimonials I read and contemplated signing up for a future clinic.

Having learned from previous auditing experiences I made it a rule to always watch first. Some years ago I audited a clinic with a well-known international trainer, author, self-described "classical horseman". Well, I was amazed that the owner didn't pull him off her horse as he proceeded to beat the horse senseless in order to make it go forward. So much for 'classical'. Or, the other extreme, the European who was too nice and complimented everybody, no matter how bad he exercises were executed.

Even without extremes the clinician's style still might not mesh with the regular instructor. I am fortunate to work regularly with Sandy and then having clinics with George Williams. Sandy and George complement each other, in principal their approach is the same. IMO, while somebody outside this spectrum can bring value to the riding progress, most of the time it is more confusing than beneficial.

So, good thing I watched today - while by no means anything was off the charts, the style of the clinician was in some ways contradictory to our daily work and so I decided I'd rather keep additional confusion away from my 'blonde' brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment