Thursday, April 14, 2011

The mind game - pretending to be somebody else

More work on precision and instant correct responses. No slacking. Keeping Saumur’s front end up, with a nice, even connection in the reins – and then: transitions, transitions – and some more transitions! I have to get off the cruise control, which interestingly I never use in my car – too boring. Good question: Then why do I like to be on cruise control while riding?


I constantly have to remind myself to keep Saumur’s outside shoulder where it needs to be. The precision part and instant correct responses pertain lately to working on collected canter – medium – back to collected. When the work gets too hard (for either of us) Saumur falls back into the trot from the collected canter, mainly because my aids slack off. Previously I would let him gather himself in the trot, maybe even let him stretch, which in hindsight was not such a great thing to do because he got a reward for quitting. Now we go right back into the canter and try again.

The other area of work is keeping my center of gravity low in the saddle, shoulders down. I’m still ready to go into two-point at any second. Sandy told me to pretend to be Isabell Werth, and low and behold, picturing her got my position where it needed to be and my aids became much more effective. Now, Isabell is not really my role model in general – I much prefer Ingrid Klimke for her elegance and light aids. But when it comes to getting the job done Isabell is really the benchmark. Nobody beats her grit and determination. Otherwise she would have never had the career she has and dealt with all the controversies about her riding so successfully.

Hmm, who would I want to be today?? Guess being myself is perfectly fine – until it comes to my riding position…

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope or confidence. Helen Keller.

No comments:

Post a Comment