Saturday, April 16, 2011

Setting the stage with the right warm up - the trickle down effect

This time we tried something different - Sandy warmed up Saumur to show me how her warm up routine differs from mine and how Saumur feels afterwards. As Saumur was turned out until just before the lesson the walk period was fairly short, but centered around LOTS of transitions. Sandy does not allow Saumur to be heavy in the hands, lots of half-halts take care of this.

The big difference was in the frame, though. When Sandy started the trot work, Saumur had to be right away in a 3rd level frame. I, OTOH, warm Saumur up long and low, and then of course it takes quite a bit of time going from Training, through First, Second to our current working level. It really makes sense to me to ask to work at a higher level right from the start. You wouldn't ask student in a masters program to go back to first grade either.

It sure was another 'wow' moment as soon as I got on Saumur. He was light, on the aids, ready to work. We had some of our best haunches in and half-passes ever. The key really is to keep my aids light, "Whispering - not Shouthing". And of course, for the millionth time: relax my back!

We finished with the most amzing canter ever, light, supple and 'lofty' (lots of suspension). Rides like this remind me what's it all amout. Harmony!

I also now understand much better why often the professionals warm up the horses for the amateurs at shows. It makes the students life much easier. For us it is also quite the 'trickle down' effect - I warm up Chambord for JP. If Chambord is warmed up correctly, on the bit and ready to go it makes a much easier ride for JP -- and we all are happy :-)!

No comments:

Post a Comment