Saturday, April 2, 2011

Progress while staying relaxed

Yesterday while I was about to lose my temper (again ;-)!) at work, Sandy and Saumur had a great time. I received a happy email from Sandy, telling me that Saumur did half-steps, in hand and under saddle, with the aid of a touching whip. Sandy was all excited because she achieved some great steps and a feeling like he might passage. That is really a big deal, because going to half-steps means confinement (collection) and touching with a whip - which is HUGE for Saumur.

What made me really happy was Sandy's note "best of all - no fear"! Most of the trainers I know would have focused on the progress towards the upper level parts of collection (half-steps - passage - piaffe) and not the "no fear" factor. This is truly what really matters, keeping the horse happy and relaxed when the works gets more demanding and difficult - and not moving on at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment