Monday, March 28, 2011

Meltdown - Not just the snow and ice coming off the roof

The Michigan winter seems to stretch indefinitely this year. It comes with the 'added benefit' of sunshine during the day which means ice and snow are coming rather noisily off the roof.

Yesterday was a really busy day at the barn and my shortcomings in terms of focus and relaxation were blatantly apparent. My lesson was during the time horses are brought in from the pastures through the indoor to the barn. There was handwalking, riding, longing (with whip cracking) going on, all the while the ice was coming off the roof.  Saumur was really awesome in dealing with all the commotion. I, OTOH, not so much. Sandy said she'd like to find a way to half-halt ME to get my attention back on track!

I see the deadline looming (only one month left before the boys go home!) and I am desperately trying to get the most out of every lesson. With all the commotion my concentration is shot and I end up back at the basics. This, of course, is always good, but it worries me that I'll never be able to do the advanced movements. Obviously, with all the stress at work I have a hard time dealing with any additional pressure. Maybe I should just go back to trailriding??

Nevertheless, at the end we still managed very good half-passes and I liked the exercise half pass to quarterline, straight, then haunches to the wall, and from there half pass in the opposite direction.

On a very positive note, Luanne from Schleese Saddlery came to adjust my saddle yesterday and she paid a huge compliment to Sandy and me: Saumur is absolutely even on both sides!! When she tested the back for soreness there was not a flinch in sight. Saumur gained 1" on girth measurement. While filling out the paperwork, Luanne mentioned that it is not often that she can mark the box "even"!

So, my nerves might be completely shot - but hey, the important part is: My horse is even, strong and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment