Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Leadership 101 - Or it's all in your mind

How come I have no problems keeping 'my guys', aka my sales team, in line (or so I think!)? Saturday Sandy had to treat me to another 'lecture' on leadership. Tell me something I don't know :-)!

Saumur is a timid horse and the low man on the totem in the pasture herd. He looks to me to give him confidence. What seems feasible at work is not so clear with him. I look out for things he could spook at, that of course makes him more aware that HE should check things and voila - here we go again! Right back to the question "is it him or is it me?" In the end it's all a mind game. As soon as I pretend all is well, we can ride through ice falling off the roof without a hitch. But how to control this hyper-active brain of mine all the time??

There was a great article in February's edition of Cavallo (a German riding magazine) on how the preception of the rider affects the horse's performance. It really hits home.

Case in point: When I ride Chambord (JP's fairly green Palomino QH of breaking my nose fame) I don't even think that he could spook. Chambord goes along without the slightest inkling that a ray of sun might be a major threat to him. I am more relaxed, he motors along - and all is well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment