Thursday, March 3, 2011

The "other' Right

Sandy has been working with me on getting more precision in moving Saumur's shoulders. We've been working on haunches in to shoulder in, then back to haunches in. This is a great exercise in preparation for the half-pass, as my half-passes seem to like 'haunches leading'. Here is the challenge, though: Sandy says "take your right hand an inch off his neck"... and my brain translates it to "Where is right?". By the time I have it figured out we are at the end of the 60m arena! No kidding. My brain can hop in a heartbeat through several languages but left and right (or any direction) are something entirely different. I've taken to cheating, in that the only ring I wear when riding is my wedding ring, so when I have to figure out left and right I close my fingers and feel the ring on the left. How sophisticated is that?? But hey, it works. We managed really good half-passes both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment