Monday, March 14, 2011

Here comes the dentist - or the wrath of Blondie

Yesterday I spent six hours at the barn - time flies when you are having fun, and sometimes also when not. The equine dentist was supposed to come at 9 a.m., of course he showed up at 10. Off to a good start - I was already miffed because daylight savings time started that weekend, which meant I had to get up at 6 a.m.

It is amazing how a horse that went through so much in his life can still be trusting. Saumur, who when I first got him was literally trying to go through walls to get away from the vet or any other male that wanted to touch him (i.e. saddle fitter) stood there without sedation (!) and calmly had his teeth floated. His left side always needs more attention. Doug, the dentist, is such a calm guy and takes his time. He takes care to account for the bits the horses are using, in Saumur's case his double bridle.

Chambord (aka Blondie - he is a 'very blond' Palomino), on the other hand, was a completely different story. He was MAD! Now there is a horse that usually takes things in stride, doesn't get rattled easily, and you'd think the dentist wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't last time at home. Well, yesterday was not his day apparently. My arms still hurt from trying to hold him. In all these years I never had a horse show his emotions like that, it really was the equivalent of the 'evil eye'. The last thing I wanted was him giving me another broken nose. And with the kicking and rearing I thought I was getting pretty close. Once we were done Chambord was just a ham again. Go figure. Worked like nothing ever happened.

Well, on the bright side, I got a spotless car in return. After I gave JP an earful about his 'evil Blondie' he took great care of my car :-) But he still got the better deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment