Sunday, March 20, 2011

The different gears of trot - and musings on the drug of choice

Saumur felt awesome today, no 'weird feelings' about his back. Guess once again (!) I worried too much. He was in work mode from the start, light, soft and swinging. Repeat from yesterday: transitions! Trot - walk - trot, no slacking, no "maybe" response. "Maybe" got us a reinback. Crisp and sharp were the key goals today. We did trot half-passes to shoulder in, i.e. rail to X half-pass left, straighten at X, then shoulder-in right. When we are on, we are on, and it felt really easy. Then we proceeded to going from lengthening to collected trot, with the goal being half-steps. Saumur gave me glimpses of good half-steps and that put me straight up to cloud 9 :-). Yes, that's what a great lesson with an awesome horse and a passionate teacher can do for you. Better than any drug! At least, it is my drug of choice.

I'm off to Mexico City tomorrow, and even though I am not keen on the trip, at least I only have to worry about keeping my white hind-end safe, and not about Saumur. Last night I thought about the choices in life. I have a job that I enjoy most of the time, but that comes with a large amount of stress, responsibility and pretty severe time constraints, not to mention travel to places that are not exactly safe. However, from a very early age I knew what I wanted: A (hopefully interesting) career that would keep me in my drug of choice! Even though I get the blues sometimes and whine about the stress, being tired, being away from home and not having enough time for my horse, husband, friends - I am darn lucky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment