Sunday, November 27, 2011

Back into the swing of things

Literally ... it is amazing what a week out of the office will do for my back. My first ride after the trip to Germany was awesome - the tightness was gone, my hips were swinging, and Saumur felt wonderful. That of course, is due to Sandy working with him in my absence.

It sure feels good to be home, and with home I mean Milford. As much as I like to visit Germany, as the old saying goes: "Home is where the heart is". I did have a great time visiting family and friends, and of course the Stuttgart German Masters horse show. It is incredible how well the show is run, 8,000 spectators, and something for everybody: Jumping, Dressage, Four-In-Hand Driving, Jump and Drive, Indoor Event, Vaulting, and not to forget a great show program and shopping. The main attraction was Lorenzo, the "Flying Frenchman". I said to Ingrid, good thing JP is not here with us, it would have giving him some ideas to try at home. Lorenzo is famous for standing on two horses, one leg on each horse, no bridle, no saddle, only two sticks to guide the horses, while 10 other horses are staying around in formation. And they all jump together. But I think one flying Frenchman is enough!

Disappointing was the judging in the Dressage freestyle, goes to show, even an international FEI competition does not guarantee good judging. The very educated audience made no bones about their opinion and loud protests and whistles attested to that. But overall, it was FUN! It's amazing to have a show go until midnight, and then have people stay on to party. And great food... something I have not encountered at our local shows, that's for sure. Champagne bar, anybody?

So, back into the swing of things. Yesterday we had quite the outing, we took Chambord and Remy to Sandy for lessons, in addition to my lesson with Saumur. It was a busy day at the barn, which was actually good for me. I have a hard time staying focused when there is lots of activity and there are several people riding at the same time. Sandy reminded me that I had to stay "in my bubble" and only focus on Saumur. It is very obvious, if I am distracted, he thinks he needs to be on high alert. The focus was on 'less is more', and the 'point and shoot approach' to turning. Less hand, more leg.

Remy longed well, however, I needed some reminders to be more precise, and careful. When Remy is out of balance he cross canters, so Sandy asked me to quietly get him back to a trot and right away into the correct canter. She wants me to talk to him, but preferable in only one language, as it might be confusing for him otherwise. Yes, I have to admit, I constantly switch from English to French and back. After all, as JP never ceases to point out "French is the language of love"  -- hmm, come to think of, all of our animals listen to both languages. For the longest time, our neighbors thought that one of our dogs was named "viens ici", which means "come here"!

No comments:

Post a Comment