Sunday, November 6, 2011

To err on the side of caution

The freestyle clinic is coming up next weekend. Together with the details I also received a note from the organizer and barn owner informing the participants that one horse at the barn is sick with Potomac horse fever. The letter assured everybody that there is no need to worry, as Potomac is not transmitted from horse to horse (mosquitoes are the culprits).

My internal alarm went up instantly and I called my vet. He said there is no test that really confirms Potomac, and there are other infections with similar symptoms. (The horse in question had to be on an IV drip with antibiotics). I also called Sandy's barn vet and sent an email to Sandy, in addition to checking with horse owning friends. Well, everybody confirmed my gut feeling: better safe than sorry - meaning better scratch than ending up with a sick horse. Of course, I was told I am the only 'overprotective mother', and my spot got actually filled by somebody on the wait list. Do I have any regrets? No, I am convinced I made the right decision. Yes, certainly, I'll miss riding in the clinic, but the risk (even though probably small) is not something I am willing to take. Especially as I am leaving for Europe the next day, and I wouldn't want to risk the health of Saumur, the horses at home, or the horses at Sandy's!

The weather was beautiful this weekend, on Saturday I rode Saumur outside in the large outdoor arena. We did something we hadn't done in a long time: gallop in two-point. It was FUN! Saumur didn't get wound up and we finished walking quietly around the fields with Linda and Hopper and Megan and Savannah. A nice and relaxing finish.

Today was Remy's turn. I noticed that when I am longing him he has a tendency to bring his shoulders in the circle. We did the following exercise: longing over poles in the walk and trot, with the reins behind the stirrups, which act a bit as side reins in this case. Remy relaxed and had to focus where he placed his legs. Afterwards I got on and we walked over the poles. He is such a good baby! OK, a bit on the spoiled side (thanks, JP). I have to watch his tendency to be pushy, and trying to check what's in my pockets. It's hard to resist when he's batting his huge eyes with the long lashes at me -- I am melting. OK, I admit, I am a sucker for charming guys (especially the ones with French names).

No comments:

Post a Comment