Thursday, November 3, 2011

Putting the Whoa in the Go and the Go into the Whoa

At first this sounds pretty confusing, but once it sinks in it makes sense. More importantly, though, it increases collection.

It is what we worked on during our lesson yesterday, while keeping Saumur on the lightest aids possible. Sandy had me initiate the downward transitions trot – walk, canter – walk from thigh pressure, and - if needed - with a slight close of the fingers. I could really feel how well Saumur responded, we were able to ‘whisper’ to each other, as opposed to shouting (he hanging on the bit, me giving strong aids). “Putting the whoa in the go” means asking Saumur to pick himself up more through half-halts, engaging his belly muscles, so he comes up more in front and carries more weight behind.

“Putting the go in the whoa” is asking him to be engaged during and after downward transitions, or during transitions within the gaits (no stalling or falling on his forehand). I had an important ‘Aha’-Moment when I continued to have my seat engaged during a transition within the trot, going from working trot to more collection. If I stay supple and keep me seat engaged we can do this!

We worked a lot on the canter transitions, walk – canter – walk, again all with the lightest possible aids. Saumur felt pretty awesome. He was sweating quite a bit; while I savor the last days of 60F weather the poor guy is “overdressed” by already sporting his winter coat. Saumur was bred and born “Up North” (Northern Michigan), so his genes tell him to get prepared in October for the icy months ahead.

Ah, speaking of icy months, yesterday I used my navigation system on the way home from Sandy’s to be prepared for construction detours. It really hit me when the friendly lady told me that I am driving over 120 miles (192 km) from the office to the barn and home! Yikes. I still have barns to scout out closer to home, as an option for at least Chambord and Remy during the worst months. Oh, a kingdom for an indoor arena – or an opportunity to winter in the South!

No comments:

Post a Comment