Sunday, November 13, 2011

Relax your lower back - with the help of "imaginative 'Botox'"

OK, not to get any misconceptions here: There are no "Botox-Babes" at Southview Farm. Admittedly, the natural beautiful women at the barn do spend money on injectables and needles, but those go right to the horses, in the form of Adequan and Acupuncture.

The subject came up during my lesson with Sandy, she was trying to get me to relax my lower back. What would be best: Novocain, Peridural, Botox?? When things get iffy, i.e. a spooking spot for Saumur, I tend to tense my back. Of course, that in turn signals to Saumur that there MUST be something wrong - and so it goes... I really have to work hard on it, relaxation is not something that comes naturally to me. But once I let go and breathe into my back (learned from my Yoga lessons) things really improve significantly. Imaging is everything (and free)!

The other image Sandy wanted me to have in my mind is how water flows through a hose. Now, if you narrow the outlet, the water comes out with more force. That is a good image when going from working trot to collected trot: if the outlet is more contained, the energy from behind is higher and leads to more elevation.

Remy and Chambord also traveled to Sandy's on Saturday. Chambord and JP had a lesson. We took Remy to see how he would react in his future 'winter-quarter'. Remy is such a cool boy, he walked into the barn, around the huge indoor arena, no problem at all. The observation room was of interest to him (it's an entire wall of windows), but nothing more. I am really not used to have such an uncomplicated horse, so I am constantly amazed - and silently wondering if / when the honeymoon will be over?

With all that wondering a dose of muscle relaxant (frown lines!) would probably be in order - but wait, with winter board and lessons I guess that is not considered an 'essential expense'.

No comments:

Post a Comment