Sunday, February 3, 2013

I've decided to cancel lessons ... And soak in the bathtub

When it's 10F, that is.

Yesterday I really enjoyed my lesson, and I had a very good ride on Remy. As I told Judy at one point it felt like Remy was on cruise control, but in a good way. I hadn't ridden him all week due to our short stint in Florida, so it was fun coming back and finding him going so well.

That is the wonderful thing if you work with a great trainer: you can go away and when you come back your horses are better! I really, really appreciate it, because it is very difficult to find the right person to trust with the 'kids', especially if you have a 'special needs child' like Saumur. With a 'happy go lucky' guy like Remy, you sure want him to keep his enthusiasm and not get soured by the training. And with my schedule it's crucial that this works. I won't be able to ride all next week - I'll have to stand in line at the Chinese Consulate in Chicago to get my visa for the upcoming trip to Shanghai (being German living in the US complicates matters, you have to show up in person).

Back to my lesson today: a very different story from yesterday. I never got into the groove, feeling stiff, having no feeling in my fingers, and getting faint. I got more and more frustrated with myself  and Remy of course picked up on it. Judy patiently guided us through but I justed disliked how I rode. So, note to self: I will cancel any lesson if it's not at least 20F! I hate to be a whimp but trying to tough it out is not fair to the horse, instructor or myself.

Saumur received the good end of the stick: He got to roll and play on the longeline. Seeing him being happy somewhat warmed me up.

What really warmed me up was a long soak in 100F water in my bathtub, looking out the bay windows at the snow flakes tumbling down, followed by a nice glass of Moët (thanks, Schnucki II!!). Life is good, even in a deep freeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment