Sunday, October 23, 2016

On the trails - and feeling like being on a family road trip

Fall is beautiful in Michigan, at least when we have sunshine, and the trees are ablaze with colors. Saturday it was cold and windy with the sun peeking through the clouds from time to time. We took Remy and Chambord on a trail that starts on lush grass and then winds through narrow spots in the woods. So while the boys were walking nicely forward and were general obedient, the whining soon started: "Can I have a snack? Please? Puleeze??", " I really need a snack", "If I scratch, you might not notice that I snack". Ugh! You'd think they don't get fed. It took a thwack or two with the jumping stick to get their minds off snacks on onto the task at hand: Watch where you are going.


Today we had beautiful sunshine and warm weather. Perfect to head out on the trails again, this time away from the snacks and onto larger trails. Alas, another issue: As soon as I got on Remy I felt the tightness in his back and the stiff gait - he had to pee. Grr! I was hoping he would stop on the nice sandy ground and do his thing - but no, that would have been too easy: He was grumpy, argumentative, even tried to pinch Chambord. I got off because I thought without my whopping 52 kg on his back it would entice him to do his thing. No luck. But wouldn't you know it: On the way back about a mile from home he decided he found the perfect spot. Really, now?? Yep, now. At least we came home nice and relaxed.


Does the whining for snacks and search for the perfect rest stop remind anyone else of family road trips??

No comments:

Post a Comment