Friday, October 28, 2016

"He is a trained horse and you are a big girl: Get on with it!"

Back from Quebec were I got treated to my first snow this season. BRR! To top it off our customer gleefully shared the forecast: Lots of snow, also in the Midwest. Of course, if you produce Snowmobiles, you like it. If you shiver when the temps drop to 60F snow is not all that appealing.


While I was contemplating moving (again) to somewhere warm and sunny for the winter Remy continued his lessons with Judy. She keeps me updated with text messages - the last one read: "Remy good today. Rule #1:The better the canter the better the changes".


Still a bit groggy from my travel meds I was happy that Remy got right to work today. His lateral work is coming along very nicely, and today we introduced canter half-pass zigzags. Cool! The changes were more of a struggle as Remy knows what to do and I don't. Somehow I can't get my aids coordinated in time, and then I do what Saumur successfully trained me to do: Clench my cheeks, take my legs off, throw my weight in the new direction - and hope for the best. Obviously, that pleases neither Remy, nor Judy, nor me - aside from the fact that Remy goes on counter-cantering. After all, I didn't tell him to change now did I?


With frustration setting in I wanted to quit and got the above mentioned reminder. OK, deep breath, refocus, resume, and it worked in the end.


I feel like an analphabet getting lessons in reading and writing. I sure hope Remy keeps his enthusiasm up and teaches me the right words. This brings back memories of my very proper French tutor (a highly degreed lady from the Sorbonne). Dating JP added quite a few new words and phrases to my French vocabulary. After a summer off I was eagerly looking forward to impress Madame with my newly expanded and enhanced language skills. I delivered the 'wow' factor, alright, just not the one I had been hoping for: Once Madame's initial shock wore off she sighed and said: "Mon Dieu! We have a lot of work ahead of us to undo all of the slang you picked up".

No comments:

Post a Comment