Tuesday, June 13, 2017

"Less is more" - and off to the cold water hose

Ah, the Michigan weather. The saying goes that if you don't like it you wait five minutes and it changes. No such luck today (actually, it was luck it didn't change - most likely we would have gotten a thunderstorm). Remy and I played in 32C in the mid-day heat. Most of Judy's students opt to stay indoors, but for me the toss up is either fry my brain under the helmet in the sun outdoors or struggle for air indoors.

It was a much better ride than yesterday. I am trying to focus hard on "less is more", not over-riding Remy when things get tough. The difficult part is to do less but still being effective. Doing less and just ambling along is not cutting it - as the voice in my ear-set likes to remind me.

Remy was a good sport when my Comtek receiver bounced off my belt and dropped next to his shoulder. He didn't even bat an eye. I did bat an eye, because the belt was on its last hole so I had to stuff the receiver into the inside of my pants. I lamented that I looked like I gained 20 pounds, to which I just heard a sigh and then a "but you want to hear me, right??". Yep, I'd rather have a smooth voice in my ear than a screeching one that can be heard in the next county - LOL. Without joking, it must be so hard for instructors to yell all day in order to be heard, especially in large (and/or outdoor) arenas. I can't imagine being able to keep this up.

Remy kept his focus (mostly) on me, swiveling ears and sometimes grunting. My ears don't swivel but why should I be the only one grunting? We finished on a good note, with all three of us happy - and two of us headings straight for the wash rack. The other day I was saying I'd like to get a cold hose down, too, and Lisa asked "then why don't you?". Hmm, because I don't want to do the wet t-shirt contest? She looked at me like I was a poster child for a 'true blonde'. "Just bend forward, and rinse your neck". Oh, OK, got it!

Cold showered Remy and I were happy campers and both ready for lunch - after I changed my shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment