Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Some days the highlight is keeping calm while getting run away with

It was just a normal day today, Remy warmed up nicely and we had some good canter work when suddenly things fell apart. I shouldn't say suddenly, though, because I felt it coming on. We were in a canter half-pass across the arena when I sensed Remy tensing up due to a noise outside, his back got tight, and whoosh! he bolted straight ahead, cut the corner (a big no, no in Judy land) and took off down the long side. Stupid me, I should have done a one rein stop, but I was too busy trying to get his head up - and well, yes, staying on.

At the end of the long (and we are talking 60 meters long!) side I got his head turned to the wall and we came to a stop. Luckily without a bucking fit or other shenanigans. Remy is not a bucker, anyway, his thing is to spin and/or bolt. Neither of course is an endearing quality. Luckily Judy was right there to remind me to get him back to work, and we finished quite nicely.

My "proud moment" was that this time my legs didn't get all rubbery and I was able to  just shrug it off, kept calm and moved on. That is huge progress!

Neither Judy nor I could figure out what had set Remy off, it was as if his brain had just decided "I'm outta here", but once he had it out of his system he was his old sweet and kind self. And here they say women are unpredictable!

No comments:

Post a Comment