Monday, July 3, 2017

From Detroit Horsepower to Cow Working - all in a week's work

It's nice to know that some people miss it when I don't update my blog by sending me reminders. Sorry for the tardiness, it was a very busy week and quite frankly I was too tired at night to fire up the laptop.

It was my first week as volunteer at Detroit Horsepower (www.detroithorsepower.org) and I loved it. The elementary school kids were adorable, and the structured program is right up my alley. Initially it did push my comfort zone a bit, having never had any experience with children. But it all fell quickly into place. The morning meetings before the students arrived were a big help, we had detailed and written instructions waiting for us, as well as time for Q&A. I will write more details about the program in the next weeks (this week is an off-week due to the holiday). Let me just say I have a whole new admiration for teachers!

One experience stood out for me, though. A little girl took me aside and said she didn't want to ride a "Boy Horse". When I asked her why she said "all boys are mean" and that's why she only wanted a "Girl Horse".  This was a very good opportunity to talk about that a) not all boys are mean and b) she is a very strong girl that with the right preparation can handle difficult situations. I don't know who was happier when she sat on the "Boy Horse", the girl or I!

Friday through Sunday JP, Chambord, Remy and I did the "Horsemanship with Cows Clinic" with Brent Graef. Remy and I had done it last year (Remy even wrote an article about it), and so this time we had JP and Chambord joining us. I was a bit worried about Chambord, with him things are very clear cut: He either likes it and plays nice or he hates it and is outta here - sort of like his owner *grin*). Luckily it turned out that Chambord remembered his roots and cow sense. His French-American Cowboy didn't have any cowboy roots to draw on but he apparently has cow sense and decided he liked it - so both stayed (or perhaps they were just afraid of the "wrath of Birgit" if they would have bowed out... nah!).

Remy was a good sport, he was fine with the cattle. This year there was no Norman to distract him (last year Norman the steer was undertaking some amorous endeavors that Remy found offensive). However, when faced with cattle in front of him and horses behind him Remy still got rattled - and it netted me a "nice seat!" compliment from the rider next to me when Remy spun around.

Brent was working with me (seems I needed it more than Remy) and asked me to imagine that I have a ball full of water in my upper chest and then let the water flow through my body. Yes, I do carry all the tension in my upper torso and shoulders, I've done that probably all my working life. The good thing was that when Remy got rattled and spun he didn't run off, he centered himself. Another key element is for me to keep a much lighter contact in the reins. Brent demonstrated it with holding my hand, and then gripping it, to show the difference. And yes, when I get worried I automatically grip, which in turn gets Remy worried... ah... and so the circle commences.

We had fun with our fellow riders at the dinners each evening. It is so nice meeting people from all different walks of life with the common goal of improving their horsemanship and be better partners to their horses.

Brent's parting words to me were "Remember to let the water flow through" to which I deadpanned: "Yes, I will, but I'll try not to pee in my pants!"

No comments:

Post a Comment