Saturday, July 22, 2017

Some good deeds indeed get punished - and a delightful book for instructors

As the saying goes "No good deed goes unpunished"... it's not as harsh as this but unfortunately, my volunteer work at DHP has made it possible for some "uninvited visitors" to ride home with me. I'm talking about a virus that causes upper respiratory infections in horses. When I noticed that one of the horses at camp had a snotty nose I made sure not to come in contact with him. As soon as I got home every day I ditched my clothes and disinfected my boots, but it seems it wasn't enough.

Remy came down with a snotty nose and a cough so heavy that it shook me almost out of the saddle. An emergency run to the pharmacy to pick up not one but two thermometers (check out the ones from Vicks, they are super easy to use, flexible and are bulb-shaped with clear and quick read outs). No temp, good appetite, but the rest... Gesundheit, Remy! I called Crystal (our vet) and she recommended R&R for Remy. She said it's like with humans, it has to take its course.  Remy says, Sure a few days on the couch with extra coddling is just what the doctor ordered!

This week at DHP has been more of a challenge, the kids were younger (Third to Fifth Grade), so the attention was not always easy to keep. Especially yesterday it was a bit of a struggle as the kids had to write thank you letters to the Mayor and City Council, and then fill out several pages of questionnaires. There was quite a bit of whining involved "I don't want to", "This is stupid", and I couldn't just say what I would tell adults: "Suck it up and do it". I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when this was done. Also, personally, my hackles went up when someone tried to order me around in a not so polite way. Obviously, in certain situations my "sucking up" is not so good either.

I do love teaching riding and horsemanship to the children. Seeing the big smile after a milestone, like the first time riding without being led, or trotting, is precious. I've been trying to make the exercises more diverse and fun, and luckily I found the most delightful book published in Britain. It has child friendly explanations and fun exercises, so I will use it at camp ... and at home ... for the one with the inner child that never listens...




No comments:

Post a Comment