Saturday, August 19, 2017

Two weeks left - and food for thought

We are getting into the homestretch of the summer camps at Detroit Horse Power, two weeks left and then the kids go back to school. It is a great experience, not just working with the kids, but also getting to know my fellow volunteers and the staff.
A typical beginner lesson: Balance exercises with a leader and a side-walker

Most of the other volunteers are college students, and I am amazed at their dedication to the program. I learned from talking with them that most are cash strapped, and still they donate their time to DHP. It also makes me appreciate that I am in a very privileged setting with Remy, having Judy as my coach, and being able to afford the lessons and training. My favorite volunteer, Bria, is a college student and makes do with once-monthly lessons on her OTTB (Off the Track Thoroughbred) mare. What I love about her is that she is so excited about working with her mare, she truly loves the horse, and developing the horse is way more important to her than chasing points and ribbons.

I think a lot of time people -especially the more affluent ones- get 'sucked in' by the whole show/awards/clinic/Florida scene that they forget what horse owning is all about. It is the joy of dealing with an -often opinionated- animal and seeing a relationship evolve and develop, taking pride in the accomplishments (even very small ones) along the way.  It is not just chasing scores and championships, and having a "delicate flower" (often with ulcers) that only knows its paddock, the arena, and show grounds.

This week I was very fortunate to have a "Riding Boot Camp", meaning daily lessons. Judy is leaving next week for the National Young Horse Championships (Her fabulous mare Quintee is one of the top contenders in the Five-Year old class), so Remy and I were 'cramming'. While my riding is getting better through the continuous work, I am still not good enough when it comes to the changes. To put salt in the wound: Judy gets a line of excellent changes on Remy (of course!).

One of the personality traits we focus on with the DHP students is perseverance. I certainly need to sit up in the class room and take it to heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment