Saturday, December 29, 2018

Remy and I are straying - into the Hunter World

Today was our second lesson with Lisa, the H/J trainer at Berwyck. I still feel kind of wobbly in the jumping saddle with the short stirrups, but Remy is getting the hang of my changed position.

Lisa had us doing gymnastic exercises over poles. She helped me find my long-lost two-point position*. I enjoy her lessons very much, she hones right into my weaknesses (no shortage there), such as too much hand, not enough leg. She teaches in a kind and encouraging way and doesn't make me feel like George Morris would have a heart attack. I guess the only thing George couldn't complain about is my weight.  For those not familiar with George's clinics and columns in the Practical Horseman magazine: He is notorious for critiquing seemingly minute details, such as the cleanliness of the bottom (!) of a rider's boots - and notably his wrath is geared towards riders that are not slim and fit).

By the end of the lesson Remy was taking me to grids and bounced happily through them - while I kept soft hands, heels down, balanced seat, eyes up.

It feels like our flirting with the H/J style could morph into a full-fledged affair. But hey, we are all consenting adults here.

Tally ho!


*Riders usually employ a "two-point" position while jumping fences, depending on the type of course and height of fences. The position is so named because the rider has "two points" (both legs) in contact with the saddle. The rider supports his or her body using leg and stirrup, keeping the heels down, closing the hip angle, and lifting the buttocks out of the saddle while keeping the head and shoulders up.

No comments:

Post a Comment