Sunday, December 23, 2018

"You have a really good heel for a dressage rider" - and 'Fit for a queen'

I have been toying for a while with taking some jumping lessons. OK, let's be honest, we are not talking four foot oxers here, I was thinking more along the lines of starting with some gymnastic grids and cavalettis. 

After meeting Lisa, the H/J instructor/trainer and auditing one of her lessons I decided that yes, Remy and I should try this. It's been a very long time since we had our one and only lesson with an eventing instructor. Remy was a game and gangly four year old at that time. I would have liked to continue but the trailering was a hassle in the winter and the instructor was difficult to nail down for scheduling. 

Fast forward six years and here we are. I was thrilled that the beautiful Hunt Saddle -custom made in Walsall, England- I bought on a whim finally could come out from years under the protective covers. Story about the saddle is that it was ordered by an 80 year old MFH (Master of Foxhounds), and when the saddle finally arrived from England he decided that he was now too old to go hunting. Soo...by chance I saw it and it was love at first sight. One of the things you just have to have and justify by telling yourself: "Sure, I'll find a use for it!". And after all, what's good for the Queen of England* should be good for me. That lady knows her horse stuff.
 Beautiful work by a Walsall Saddler*
Properly dressed we presented ourselves to Lisa for an evaluation lesson. Note to self: I should have ridden Remy in the saddle before hand. Turns out that if I go in a two-point position he slows down in the canter, obviously not sure what is happing on his back. Lisa first complimented me on my leg position "you have a really good heel for a dressage rider" (yay, I remembered to keep my heels down), only then to proceed to jack up the stirrups several holes. Greetings from jockey training camp.  It was fun! Looking forward to more of this.

So, between the ice skating and the jumping JP is getting nervous that I might crack something and he won't be able to get rid of me -- Florida is less than four weeks out! 

*Walsall still manufactures the Queen's handbags, saddles for the Royal family and leather goods for the Prince of Wales. Walsall is the traditional home of the English saddle manufacturing industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment