Sunday, July 28, 2019

Peeling back the onion - and we concentrate on our jobs

Often it takes several different approaches to find the cause of an issue, it's like peeling back the onion one layer at a time. In addition to bodywork I had both Remy and Chambord checked out by an equine veterinarian that specializes in Chiropractic work. Dr. Miller was recommended to me by Roz as well as a client, and I was very happy with the referral. She took her time, first watching the boys on the longe line before proceeding to examining them in the barn. Dr. Miller pointed out right away that Remy's hip was out of whack, the right side much higher than the left. This would explain his issues with the changes.

After Remy's first adjustment Dr. Miller was happy with the result, but that he was there about 80%. We had a good training week, but skipped the changes.

Last Friday they each had their second adjustment session, and Dr. Miller pronounced both of them "100%". Saturday was their day off, and today we went on a lovely trailride - early enough so none of us 'gave' too much blood to all the mosquitoes lurking in the woods. The boys felt awesome, there was a noticeable bounce in both of their steps.

That was the first layer of the onion. The others were: (1) New bit (on trial) for Remy. I had read a lot of good things about the Neue Schule Turtle Tactio bit and thought I'd give it a try, as it puts less pressure on the bars and sits higher in the mouth. After a week I can say he feels better than in his double broken KK snaffle, less argumentative, with an even and steady contact.

(2) Chambord's program includes addressing his arthritis with special shoes, Adequan, and meds.

So with the boys well taken care of, JP and I concentrate on our jobs: JP is giving the barn a new coat of paint (from 'barn red' to a lovely light grey), and I give my full attention to my equine clients:

No detail escapes JP's paint brush!


A long way from my corporate career and corner office...
... and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment