Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Run over by a pony - and back to work

Teddy, our old pony, is getting blind. So when Chambord startled him last Friday his instinctive reaction was to run - and run over any obstacles (he couldn't see) in his way. In this case - the obstacle was yours truly. I was knocked down and heard a cracking noise in my hip, but luckily nothing was broken. Just pretty banged up and bruised, but nothing that Motrin, and Epsom Salt baths couldn't alleviate. One of my clients told me that eating Pineapple helps with bruising, so pass the Ananas, please.

With the torrential rains we had lately our "play date" at Brandt's for the boys and us had to be postponed to next week. No use galloping through mud and soggy grounds only to have shoes (or worse, tendons) pulled.

Roz is back in action and we've decided to give last year's place another try. It seems the footing in the arena is going to be improved, which is a sine quo non for me. Either that, or not riding on it. Remy has been sound the entire eight years I've had him, and now that he is working on upper level movements it's more important than ever to keep it that way.

So tomorrow afternoon he'll move into his former digs (box stall), staying a whopping (in his mind) three days. Then it's home for the Memorial Day weekend, playing at Brandt's on Tuesday, and another three days of work. Not a bad gig, if you ask me! Remy says he begs to differ (no surprise here).

Speaking of work, I have been surprised and VERY happy how well Horse and Sense LLC is taking off again after the hiatus. And all of the new clients are coming through recommendations from regular clients, the best advertising there is! I know I am very fortunate, and I do appreciate it immensely. We all are still adhering to a strict Covid 19 protocol, and I do admire the owners of large training barns on how they manage their busy schedules to account for social distancing.

I am more mindful about buying local, and I am making the conscious decision to support local businesses as much as possible even if it's a bit more expensive. Case in point: I could easily have my work shirts ordered online and shipped from a global supplier. Instead, I opted for the business of a fellow horse person (The Embroidered Horse). Sue does beautiful work, and also bakes the most delicious horse cookies (ClintRMints). No wonder the boys urge me to only go to Sue!

Buy local: Logo lovingly designed by JP, 
Shirt and embroidery from The Embroidered Horse, Michigan


No comments:

Post a Comment