Friday, December 30, 2011

The Benefits of a Grumpy Old Man - Following the school master

Remy (aka the Energizer bunny) is making steady progress and is coming along nicely. Yesterday Sandy suggested we take the opportunity of Linda riding her 'old man' Desio and use them as a lead. Sandy's arena is huge, 20 x 60m, and it's a long way around for a youngster. Desio is an upper level dressage horse, who at 27 (!) still is fit and works. That shows what great care and regular work will do.

I was really happy with how well it worked having Remy follow Desio. Remy stayed with me, didn't try to overtake, listened to half halts, but clearly had fun working with another horse in the arena. At the end we rode next to each other so Linda and I could chat at bit. There was no bickering between the horses, which was great, as Desio usually tries to assert his status and Remy is not exactly the meek kind, either. That ride just made my day! I told Desio I forgave him for charging me when I come to get Saumur out of the pasture - at least for yesterday, if I am getting run over today it's a different story!

No comments:

Post a Comment