Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"You can be happy and smile - but you still have to RIDE"

That's exactly what I heard in my lesson with Remy. He gives me such a good feeling that I just enjoy and stop riding (drop the aids). That was also a reminder on why I need my lessons with Sandy, she has to get after me when I slack off. The other one had to do with the connection to the bit. On Sunday Remy was fussy with his head, and as a result I backed off and barely touched the reins. Not the best thing to do (in hindsight, of course). Always questioning myself and "oh, he doesn't like it, I'll better stop" will not get us anywhere -- aside from creating a horse that will have my number in no time. And sure enough, once I held the connection and softened when he softened Remy's frame nicely rounded and he came on the bit.

The other prompt I need is to put my leg on. Sounds easy enough, but Saumur taught me well: For years the slightest contact with his sides felt like putting the pedal to the metal - and the Ferrari was from 0 to 100 in no time. Remy actually needs my leg to support him, especially in the right lead canter. We finished with working on a correct stretch in the trot on a circle, where I must think of soft arms (no 'sticks'), while letting him stretch down with the right engagement.

After all this I happy and smiled - and stopped riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment