Saturday, March 3, 2012

No blog update? - And awesome news from the Morgan Dressage Association

I am always happy when people ask "What - no blog update??". Especially if this is followed by "I miss your blog!" One of my closest friends in Germany keeps tabs on me via my blog, as I don't always have time for a lot of email exchanges. As she says "at least when I read your blog I know you are OK and I can follow what's going on with that part of your life."

Last week felt like I was living in my office, there was no time for much else. At least I didn't have to worry about the boys, they are always well taken care of.

Friday afternoon rolled around and an email popped up: "Dear Birgit, Congratulations! You have been selected to receive a scholarship from the Morgan Dressage Association". AWESOME!! I was thrilled, mainly because to me it means that Saumur (and the entire 'Team Saumur') gets the recognition so well deserved. The scholarship is to be applied towards training, and I am planning to take both Saumur and Remy to George Williams for a week. Now all I have to do is nail George down for a date... easier said then done. After all, the man is the USDF president, and has Olympic candidates training with him. And here I am with my two Morgans. Pretty amazing!

The Morgan Dressage Association is such a great organization. It all started when Sally Anderson, a board member, sent me a congratulatory note on behalf of the MDA for our USDF Bronze Medal. From there I started communicating with her and other board members. What a super combination: Morgan AND Dressage enthusiasts... and through the MDA I found Remy!

By the time I made it to the barn the stress of the week had been erased by the great news and the excitement of finally spending time with the boys. Once there I liberally distributed hugs, kisses and treats (I guess the treats were the most appreciated signs of affection).  I had a lesson with Remy, and 'Junior' amazed me once again. Even with several days of only playtime, he went right to work, picking up where we left off. Sandy has a good way of reminding me that I have to be very conscientious on how I ride Remy each and every time: Black and white - no grey area. "He is a sponge, and as such he retains everything, the good and the bad". Right she is! Remy has already figured out the routine, and is anticipating the canter departs. Or another example, we practised walk - halt transitions.. He got a lot of praise for being responsive... and then just wanted to halt at every opportunity. We worked on transitions, changes in the trot through the circles, first with a walk transition in the middle, then only by slowing down the trot. We also worked on the canter departs again, and managed to improve his right lead depart (left is great).

Today we had so strong storms that a lot of power lines in our neighborhood went down. In addition, the pouring rain had turned the fields into muddy slush, so the horses stayed in. High winds and stormy weather usually means 'use caution when riding Saumur', as he is extremely sensitive to changes. But with no turnout today I thought I'll give it a whirl (perhaps not the best choice of words in this situation), even though the storm shook the barn walls, rain pelted on the roof, and the doors rattled in the strong winds. Amazingly, Saumur stayed relaxed and calm, we went through our exercise program without a hitch. He must have felt very secure, every time Chambord went by Saumur made ugly faces and threatened him. Remy got a longing day today, no side-reins, just a longing cavasson. He was attentive, good carriage, no antics, very workman-like.

Gold-stars for all the boys - and a couple of Koelschs at the local brewery for the 'Riders in the Storm'.

No comments:

Post a Comment