Monday, March 26, 2012

A great weekend with the boys - finding relaxation at the end of the rope

I was pretty worn out coming back from yet another business trip to Mexico; and then the boys had their appointments for Coggins, EWT and WNV. No problem for Chambord and Remy, they are truly "Vets delights". Even Saumur is handling the needles so much better now. Dr. Younk also observed Saumur on the longe line, as he still has problems with the more demanding (collection) movements. He started out looking quite stiff, but worked out of it. The flexion tests revealed some minor hock soreness. So Saumur is on a course of bute (2g for a week, then 1g for another week), and he will get magnetic hock boots. We are still contemplating Adequan, but I am a bit hesitant because this would mean seven shots four days apart each. Would that bring his needle phobia back?

All three were fine after the vaccinations (no stiffness), and I had a lot of fun with them. JP was clearing our pastures of the downed trees and fixing fences, so I worked Chambord also. We did a training level test, and Chambord aced it. Now I just have to convince JP to go to a show - which is unlikely to happen, not when there is a requirement to wear white breeches - a definite deal-breaker for him.

Remy got to try a Nathe bit, I had that for my horse in Germany and really liked it. It is very soft and giving. Remy was going well in his KK, but I wanted to see if he wouldn't find the Nathe more comfy. So far so good. He longed well in the outdoor arena and was very good under saddle. I am really looking forward to the Michael Bragdell Young Horse Clinic April 21 and 22. It will be tight timing - I am coming back from Europe just a day before leaving for the clinic.

My most relaxing time was hanging out with Saumur. I took him for his roll and afterwards let him explore the arena. He sniffs like a dog, sifting through all the different scents. It makes me impatient when our dogs take forever to check things out, but somehow it relaxes me when Saumur does it. Just don't tell Max and Jaas!

No comments:

Post a Comment