Sunday, April 1, 2012

A thousand pounds of teenage hormones.... and "meet Chip"

It was not the easiest of weeks, I was hit by the stomach flu and more than usual work related stress. So needless to say, the horses had it easy. I rode Remy on Friday and he was good. However, Sandy coined the expression "he has to come to work on time". I really like this, it means that once we get to work Remy needs to be attentive and ready to listen. No diddling around, no "well, maybe - if you ask again". That sets the tone from the beginning for the rest of the ride.

Yesterday Sandy, Linda, Minde and I had a rare 'girls day' of shopping and lunch. But of course, being real horsewomen, we didn't go to the mall, our shopping destination was the newly expanded local tack store! It was fun, even though during our late lunch I thought I'd fall off my chair, I was so tired and run down.

Later in the afternoon JP and I went to see Chip, a cute Shetland pony that is looking for a new home. He belongs to Riley, an adorable little girl. Unfortunately the family is moving and can't take Chip. And as we are looking for a companion animal.. Chip might be moving in with us. He is turned out with a goat, and while she is very entertaining (she stands on her hind feet and charges the horses) I don't think we need that kind of entertainment.

Today JP and I met friends for breakfast in Fenton. We don't get to see Bill and Lynne very often so it was great to catch up. Aside from truly enjoying their company, I will always remember that I started my working life in Lynne's clothes! Yes, after I 'graduated' from cleaning stalls to my first office job in the US, I didn't have office clothes or money, so Lynne gave me some of her suits. As she modestly says "What are friends for?"

After breakfast we went to the barn for our lessons. Well, Remy today was flying higher than a kite. He already was "very forward" on the longe line, but when I got on him there was no stopping. He felt ready to explode any second and I decided to jump off before the rodeo started. I took him outside to longe some more, and the boy was just wired, at some point spooking at Sandy and taking off like a bat out of hell. Wow - not at all what I expected! But... it is Spring, the grass is lush, the mares are in heat, Remy probably remembers that he actually got to enjoy life as a stallion last year, so we'll write it off as a "oh well, that's horses". The rule is not to take it personal, after all Remy didn't do it to annoy me, he was a victim of spring fever and hormones, at least that's what I choose to think. Tomorrow is another day.

Saumur was good today, the spring fever does not seem to affect him. He still is worked low-key, and we did some excellent exercises that set him up well for the more difficult things. For example, Sandy had us work in the trot leg-yield from the wall, straight, leg yield, straight. The goal was to keep Saumur very reactive to my leg, which help with the straightness on the centerlines. From there we progressed to centerline, shoulder-in left, 10m circle at X left, shoulder-in right. In the canter we worked on decreasing and increasing the circle, making sure I move his shoulders when we decrease the circle (and not just do haunches-in). Our walk work focused on turns on the haunches (as prep for pirouettes). Key to it is that I continue with the walk. My tendency is to lock up in the turn, and this is when Saumur 'sticks'.

So, some good - some not so good, but as always lots to enjoy. That is what is really all about. Let's just hope that the hormone surge/spring fever for anyone in the 1,000 pound range will subside REALLY soon - and most of all, that it is not contagious!

No comments:

Post a Comment