Sunday, April 22, 2012

Young Horse Clinic - Watching a 'child prodigy'

Even though Remy and I had to sit out the Young Horse Clinic with Michael Bragdell (the Swedish born trainer from Hilltrop Farm), I went to audit. Sandy had a really good session with Doc. It was interesting to see how Michael used groundwork to make Doc more responsive to the aids.

During the break I had a chance to chat with Michael and tell him about Remy. I was expecting some surprise on his part when I mentioned that I have a Morgan - but the surprise was on my side: Michael has several students with Morgans, and what endeared me to him (of course!) was his remark "a good horse is a good horse!". We discussed his training approach for young horses in general and Michael stressed that he strongly believes in cross training as opposed to a single focus on dressage: trial riding, cavaletti work, etc.

I watched a session with a four year old warmblood gelding. The horse was on the aids, always in the right frame, did leg yields, canter lengthening, shallow loops in the canter, some counter canter. Wow! If I were  compare him with Remy I'd have to say Remy is the kindergartner and the other horse is at least middle school level. Michael asked the rider about the background of her horse: he's been in continuous training since the beginning of last year.

OK, I have to admit, initially there was a tiny little pang of what - envy? regret that I didn't work harder with Remy? That pang vanished almost instantly, though. I believe I am doing the right thing for both of us with taking more time. Remy's recent episode with the growing pains was a clear message that his body still needs time. So he won't be the four year old star at the dressage shows, but he'll have a happy childhood with fun playing with his friends and hitting the trails. Nothing wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment