Friday, April 6, 2012

A good dry run - different instructor - same comments

Remy had some days off this week, once again, my work schedule superseded my training schedule. In addition, I pulled my hip and groin muscles which netted me an unscheduled trip to the chiropractor. Unfortunately, his best efforts didn't do the trick, I am still in a lot of pain. So when I climbed on Remy yesterday I wasn't sure what to expect... but everything went well, it was a far cry from his behaviour last Sunday. Our canter departs are still a bit iffy, Sandy suggested that I carry a stick, but -having last Sunday in mind- I opted not to, which didn't help the sore leg at all. Ah, well, live and learn (once again!).

Carrie Wilson (Wilson Sporthorses) came today to Southview Farm for a private Young Horse Clinic. I was eager see how we would do today, and in the back of my mind I was also thinking: Carrie = Jumping. Carrie is well know for her success in the Hunter Jumpers with young horses. After all, I have a jumping saddle sitting in the tack room just begging to be used!

Ah, I heard exactly the same things from Carrie as I hear from Sandy. And yes, Carrie made me carry a stick (just a short jumping crop so I can tap Remy on the shoulder). Both want Remy really to be in front of my leg, moving forward at a better pace than I am asking. A small change really made a difference in the canter departs, Carrie had me change the posting diagonal before the canter. That somehow got us on the right track. Remy was very concentrated the whole time, and did a really good job.

This was a good dry run for the young horse clinic with Michael Bragdell in a couple of weeks. I had to deal with an (albeit small) peanut gallery, and get out of my comfort zone with a different instructor. Now I am just wondering: How many people will have to tell me the same things before I do what they ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment