Friday, April 13, 2012

A mystery lameness - and a Goldstar for the patient

Dr. Younk did Remy's lameness exam yesterday as he is still quite sore on his left hind leg. As I noted before, there is no swelling, heat, or any other outside indication on what could be wrong. Dr. Younk observed Remy on the longe line, did the flexion tests, and then proceeded to fetlock and stifle x-rays. Remy was just such a good boy! No sedation, his main fidgeting was focused on trying to open the Velcro closures of the lead apron I was wearing.

Well, the good news is that all x-rays were completely clean! Actually "pretty darn good" was the comment. No OCDs/chips,  hairline fractures -- Big sigh of relief on my part! But then, what's going on?? He walks sound, but is noticeable lame in the trot. Dr. Younk commented on Remy's great work ethic, even while obviously in pain he still tries his best to please. She suspects some soft tissue injury.

So - the plan is: Two weeks off, separate turnout so Remy doesn't aggravate whatever is going on, and if he is not better we will block areas on the leg to see where the pain originates, and do an ultrasound exam. Hopefully it won't have to come to that!

While I am bummed that we can't go to the Young Horse Clinic, I am happy that it doesn't seem to be too serious. And I am definitely NOT happy that I have to leave for France today. Of course, I know that Sandy will take care of Remy like he was her own, but I still feel guilty leaving her 'stuck' with him and not being there. But really, I am counting my blessings: The injury doesn't seem too serious, I trust and respect Dr. Younk's diagnosis and recommendation, and I am very lucky to have Sandy (and JP, of course) holding down the fort with the horses while I'm gone.

And here is the Goldstar for Remy: Dr. Younk said that he is most likely the nicest Four-Year old she has worked with! Of course, I knew that all along :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment