Sunday, June 3, 2012

It's proven - I have my very own 'mudder'

A 'mudder' is a term used for a racehorse that runs well in muddy conditions. Well, after this weekend at the Waterloo show I can honestly say I own a 'mudder'.

We arrived Friday afternoon to blustery winds, steady rain, and temps only flirting with 50F. Remy stepped off the trailer and started calling for his friends. I walked him around the showgrounds, and the kid was flying higher than a kite in the beginning. No wonder: the vendor booths were covered in white plastic, banners and flags were flying in the heavy winds, the grounds were just mud pits. Prudently I decided to only longe him, but it was a challenge to find some higher ground where he didn't disappear ankle deep in the wetness.

After that more hand walking in the arena, where I was more than ankle deep in the wet sand, with each squishy step worrying that my boots would get sucked right off me. Luckily this seemed to be quite relaxing for Remy.

The next day dawned not much better, I saw 4 a.m., hit the road by 5 a.m., and got to Waterloo an hour later. I was grateful that Remy is very good about braiding, and even in the unfamiliar conditions he let me fuss with his mane without objections.

The warmup was a disaster. Everybody crowded in one small arena with huge water puddles. Remy got really worried when horses cantered up behind him, as the splashing noise was pretty intimidating. I did the best I could, but we were less than prepared when going to the ring. To top it off, there was a mix up with the scratched rides before me, and the judge whistled before we even had a chance to ride around the ring. What can I say: I stayed on and we stayed in (the arena). That was about it.

The noon ride was better, but I got so focused on keeping Remy's focus that I actually had an error for going off course. No big deal, I was happy with the improvement. Despite the error and a "disagreement about straightness when entering" we scored over 60% and Remy got an "8" on his walk!

Time to pack, go home and relax! After all his efforts poor Remy did not quite get the welcome at home he so deserved: Saumur clearly was jealous, and chased him off with bared teeth; probably thinking: I'll teach you about going to a show without me!

No comments:

Post a Comment