Saturday, June 9, 2012

What do first horse shows and first waffles have in common?

While assessing Remy's first outing into the horse show world I was thinking about all the things that went right (we stayed together! Remy settled in well and performed in awful weather conditions without getting too flustered) and the things that weren't so great (aside from the weather - Remy screaming his head off in the ring for his buddies, and me getting so flustered by it that I stopped riding).

That reminded me of something I read a while ago, comparing first horse shows and first waffles (waffles from scratch, not the frozen toaster kind):

"Just think about how the first waffle you make never comes out right - it sticks or it falls apart. By the second one, you usually got the formula right. Never worry about your first waffle. It's just a practise run for your second waffle."

Some people, like Sandy's student Catie, are good cooks and get their first waffle right (Catie was AA Champion TL at the show). Congrats, Catie!

Others, like me (definitely not my mother's daughter in the kitchen) need more practise runs. Especially when some of the ingredients -fruits, horses- are on the green side. Now, hand me the waffle iron and the horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment