Sunday, October 7, 2012

What comes first - horse relaxation or rider relaxation?

Guess it's like the chicken and the egg.

Yesterday I took both boys to Judy's for lessons. It was a cold and windy day, and due to our visitors from Germany and -yes, as usual, work- the boys didn't get much structured exercise during the week. I longed them on Thursday in the windy outdoor arena, and it felt like holding on to a kite with both of them. So I wasn't sure what to expect in our lessons.

Remy has been a little rascal lately, trying to test the boundaries. Judy reminded me that my outside rein is my best friend. As long as I have him steady there he can't goof off too much. We worked on shoulder fore, shoulder in, leg yields, canter transitions. Remy has a tendency to decide when it's time to make a downward transition, which really is not acceptable. So I focused on getting him right back into the canter when he broke. At the end Remy decided it was enough, and perhaps a spook at the mounting block would get him out of the work. No such luck, because once he figures out that this is a way to stop working we won't see the end of it. After going by the mounting block a couple of times he decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Saumur surprised me. He was soft and relaxed throughout. This is what brings me to the 'chicken and the egg' comparison. Was he relaxed because I felt good or was I relaxed because he felt good?? We both hit it off, and to me it felt like we had moments where we really achieved unity. There is nothing else one could ask for!

The relaxation question doesn't come into play between JP and Chambord, these two are working together like an old couple. Last week JP came back after his lesson just beaming. Judy had given him an '8' for his riding! She texted me that I should have seen how straight and balanced he got Chambord and how well they both worked together. Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if I come home one night and find Chambord relaxing next to JP in front of the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment