Sunday, October 13, 2013

Reliving my ride thousands of miles away - and how to relax those muscles

It's good to be home, especially when you are eagerly awaited by nine critters plus one husband, and home greets you with perfect fall weather. My trip to France went well, and luckily there was a bit of free time to take the Autoroute du Soleil to Avignon for a visit of the Palais du Papes (Palace of the Popes), and a bit farther away, the Pont du Gard (Roman Aqueduct). Ah, it makes you understand all the people that want to live in Provence.

Don't think it was all fun and touristy stuff though - the days were full with meetings and plant tours, followed by late dinners and delicious wine (the tough part). As 'entertainment' I had taken the memory card from the Camcorder to watch the Jan clinic. I really appreciated JP recording my ride, despite being attacked constantly by flies (as evidenced by the occasional "m...e"  on record).

Right after the lesson I had written down Jan's comments, but hearing the comments while watching the recording is perfect. What can I say: Remy was awesome, and he tried hard to follow the program without discussions. Me, OTOH, more room for improvement. Especially in the canter I sometimes still look like there is an oxer waiting for us. The jumpers say "throw your heart over the fence, the rest will follow" - it sure looks like I'm throwing not only my heart but my entire upper body forward (the more the merrier). All that forward positioning doesn't give me a good canter transition, of course. Jan didn't let me off the hook until we had the transitions down pat, and there was success at last. Jan pointed out that after a forward trot I have to bring Remy down a stride (collect him more) before asking for the transition off the outside leg. And the transition better be prompt.

Another eye opener was the position of my spurs. I am always super concerned about using too much spur. Judy has been trying to convince me that my spurs are not making any contact with Remy's hide. Well, guess what, right she is: My spurs never touched Remy the entire ride! And I wonder why he sometimes ignores my leg?

What was great about the lesson was that Jan and Judy are so in sync. One might have a slightly different approach or explanation, but the big lines are entirely the same. I must have done a fairly decent job with my ride because afterwards Judy asked me why I don't ride that well in her lessons?! Ouch! It is certainly not because I put less effort in my lessons during the week. But the fact is that after work and the commute I show up tight and tense and it often takes the better part of the lesson to get my tight muscles to cooperate. What to do? I might have to resort to "Emil's Finest" before the ride (uh, what I sometimes do a shows) - taking a sip of my dad's homemade secret recipe brew. So, if I anyone detects alcohol on my breath: It's only to please my riding instructor :-)!

No comments:

Post a Comment