Friday, December 6, 2013

There is always a trade-off - and happily trading money for time

As the saying goes “you will get nothing from nothing”, or sometimes better described as “no pain, no gain”. I’ve been contemplating that for a long time. I had to face the fact that I wouldn’t be getting to where I’d like to be with my riding by relying on sporadic lessons and rides.

So, after much soul searching and examination of the options (not working obviously not being an option) I figured out that a four-day work week with some additional home office days for flexibility would allow me to successfully tackle both my riding and working goals. Part-time executives are not very common in this industry, so I was rather doubtful how my (granted, well prepared) proposal would be received. And really, my reason for asking was purely “for pleasure”, not for any major issues (child care, health problems, etc.).

I ran the proposal by our HR manager, and he was very supportive, but the real hurdles were the president of the division, and the heir apparent of the company. If they were jumps I’d say one is a straight forward fence, the other one a more tricky combination. But luckily they both turned out to be good distances and heights, to stay with the jumping jargon.

Make a long story short, the amendment to my contract was approved! I am very grateful for the support and willingness to help with my work/life balance.

So yes, effective January 1, 2014 I am trading money for time, but I am super excited about having the extra time for the boys. And, JP, there might even be a bit left over for you J

No comments:

Post a Comment