Sunday, November 9, 2014

It can't be snowing yet... and looking to the experts

Yesterday I almost chocked on my morning coffee: Looking out the kitchen window I saw heavy snow flakes tumbling to the ground. The snow didn't stick around, but still... It was a reality check of the things to come.

Remy is home for the weekend, and before he goes back to Judy's I had better dig out his winter clothes. I have to admit, I am not overly into blanketing early. Once Remy gets his trace clip he'll need the blankets, though, and admittedly it will make grooming much easier. The task at hand is pretty daunting: Four filthy boys are staring at me! They also managed to liberally dot manes and tails with burrs.

So, I skipped riding this weekend in favor of  'winterizing'. My good show boots are cleaned and stored, exchanged for my every-day sturdy Koenigs. They are large enough for liners and heavy socks, 20 years old and still holding up perfectly. Next in line are the heavy duty winter riding boots from Loesdau. Add a wardrobe full of polar fleece and I might just be able to venture out.

In addition to pulling out the Arctic Gear I spent time with Buck (again!) in the form of his "7 Clinics" DVDs, and also reading some of the classical texts - all that in my quest for lightness and responsiveness. It does not matter if it is Dressage or Reining, good horsemanship is good horsemanship. And when the latest "Chronicle of the Horse" came yesterday, I was thrilled to read an article by Jeremy Steinberg "The Power of Knowledge".

This article should be a 'must read' for serious riders, as Jeremy brings up so many valid points about the need to keep learning and knowing "why", by exploring the history of the sport, the various masters and techniques. As we all know, there is no "one size fits all" - but you can find the "size" that fits you and your horse!

So, case in point question: Who invented the shoulder-in*? It is an exercise used in daily training, but who knows the origins?

(*Answer: More than one person, Antoine de Pluvinel, William Cavendish, the Duke of Newcastle and Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere all played at part. Hint: When in doubt, mumble the name of a European guy that lived several hundred years ago!)

No comments:

Post a Comment