Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Consistent contact is the name of the game -

Some days are more challenging than others, but then as Judy noticed “you learn more from the difficult rides than from the easy ones”. Right on.

I struggled with getting Remy honestly in front of my leg, and it felt more like riding a jet ski on choppy waters: Up with the wave (= back up) and down with the wave (=back down). The more I held in front, especially without backing it up with my leg, the more inconsistent Remy got. Duh!

Judy honed right into the crux of the matter: My inconstant contact was confusing Remy. This whole Hold/Give/Take/Hold/Give was like garbled talk, and Remy couldn’t figure out what the deal was. However, I figured out what MY deal was: Years of adapting to Saumur! He would get so strong in the hand, basically having me carry all his weight (figuratively) with my arms. The recourse was to give so he had nothing to lean onto. This forced him to carry himself - if he didn’t want to fall on his nose.

Remy doesn’t have any of Saumur’s issues, though. He likes consistent contact, but that doesn’t mean he’s always up for it. Take the stretchy circle: No snatching the reins from me, no falling on the forehand. Remy has to take the reins nicely out and down like a gentleman; and then coming up and collect again without fuss.

Who said this stuff is easy? Or as Remy quips: “It’s tough trying to be a gentleman!”




No comments:

Post a Comment