Monday, March 16, 2015

He gained a hundred pounds - but I better stay lean and mean

Remy travels so much on the trailer that I wouldn’t be surprised if soon he wants to drive the truck! We are like soccer parents, shuttling the four-legged kids to their sporting events.

Yesterday, it was time for Remy’s saddle fit session with Luanne. Remy’s measurements showed that he gained an inch in circumference since last fall, which translates into an approximate weight gain of 100 pounds. Fear not: it’s good news, as the weight gain is due to correct muscle development. Luanne commented on how correct his topline and overall development is. Music to my ears.

So, the tree got adjusted to give Remy’s shoulders more room, therefore putting me in a more balanced position (the saddle had placed me a bit behind the motion). We took it for a test ‘drive’ and Remy strutted his stuff with gusto, so all was well.

I have never regretted forking over relatively big $$ for our saddles, as all of them are adjustable, so they can accommodate changing muscle development. In the long run, it’s a good ROI – even though the adjustments are a bit pricey, they save me from having to buy new saddles. I never had a horse with a sore back or saddle sores, neither have I had any ‘ouchy’ spots myself. That says a lot.

Of course, if I were to gain 100 pounds I’d be out of luck – the saddles can only be adjusted to accommodate the horse’s weight fluctuation, not the rider’s. I better stay on the “lean and mean*” side!

*lean and mean:

Fig. fit and ready for hard, efficient work.

No comments:

Post a Comment