Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Schwaben-Power in Kentucky - and time to 'retire' my wedding ring

Rolex Kentucky beckoned and as every year we came. I was especially keen on watching my fellow Schwabian Michael Jung show the rest of the field how to do it right – riding a 4star CCI, that is. And he did not disappoint!

Saturday the heavens opened and the forecasted 63F were nowhere to be seen. We sloshed through the mud and cold, but got treated to excellent riding. The famous Kentucky Bluegrass held its ground, meaning the course held up well. Several riders were held on course to repair frangible pins on jumps that got hit. Always a nerve-wracking situation to get pulled out of the galloping rhythm. It was neat to see New Zealander Tim Price (who would finish 2nd) get off during the hold to give his horse a break.

Sunday showed Kentucky at its finest weather for the final show jumping competition. The stadium was sold out for the nail-biting finish. I loved the parade of competitors, especially of course the sole German, Michael Jung, walking next to the pony clubber carrying the German flag.

It was our ‘Big’ Anniversary, and we couldn’t have picked a better place to celebrate – first at the Kentucky Horsepark, then a lovely dinner at Le Deauville, followed by… I won't say J

I will say, however, that JP completely blew me away with his surprise: He had designed two matching rings in the form of horseheads, one representing Saumur and one representing Remy, and had them custom made by a jeweler in Metamora. Wow! Time to retire my wedding ring! (Hmm, I don’t think that was JP’s intention, though…).

No comments:

Post a Comment