Friday, January 1, 2016

What my career and dressage have in common - and I'm not at Grand Prix (yet)

One of my last activities in the old year was updating my professional profile. I hadn't done an update of my initial version in over five years. It was good to focus on my accomplishments and the things I can contribute to an organization. Definitely gives the self-esteem a boost.


It also made me think about the similarities between working up the levels in dressage and my career. I started all my horses green, and -with the help of good and not so good people along the way- was able to progress with Saumur to the USDF Bronze Medal, and almost fourth level. Remy -with the help of excellent 'people' Judy and JP (aka "Team Remy") is well on his way to Third level, aiming up all the way.


When I came to the US I had to start my career at the very bottom again, from Pre-Green (Sales Administrator) to Training Level (Account Manager) and then up the levels finally to FEI (VP). Grand Prix is not going to happen at my present company, with 7500 employees and one woman in the executive ranks (yours truly) - "rien ne va plus".


But then, the door is wide open when it comes to riding, and there is no reason why Remy can't make it to GP. He's got the talent, we've got the coach - and as for me it's an equal playing field, in that it is not a male dominated environment: Plenty of women competing there.


There is a major item dressage and my career have not in common: It will be way easier to change companies than horses - after all JP won't ask for a divorce when I switch jobs but he sure would if I tried to 'up-trade' one of the horses!



No comments:

Post a Comment