Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Stuck in first and second gear - where's the turbo today?

Today felt like we were stuck in the lower gears, never got the RPMs up. I had a lesson with Cindy, Judy's assistant, as Judy is having fun in Germany this week. Cindy is a very accomplished rider and trainer, but I haven't had the opportunity to work with her as she usually only rides and teaches in the mornings.


Weather was perfect, we got a break from the heat with temps in the low 80s and a light breeze. Cindy told me that Remy spooked with her yesterday at the mounting block(!) and then went into an explanation that not every horse is made for upper level dressage. Some can't handle it physically, and some can't handle mentally. She seemed to indicate that Remy might fit the second scenario, which had me pre-occupied the entire ride. Paired with rather deep and sticky footing we never got our mojo going. Guess the turbo charger was stuck, too.


Cindy honed right into my weaknesses, namely the tendency to over-ride and therefore frustrating Remy. She recommended I let him make mistakes and correct them when they happen, whereas I try to avoid mistakes and therefore over-ride. In the end we reached about third gear (in a six-gear vehicle - I only drove stick shifts in Europe which explains the analogy).


Afterwards I had my first volunteer shift lined up at the local therapeutic riding center. Unfortunately, when I showed up at the appointed time the instructor  I was supposed to meet was not there and the volunteers didn't know if/when she would come. I waited -ignored- for about 30 minutes and left. Too bad - for them. If they want volunteers then they need to treat them right. Now they are missing out not only on an experienced volunteer but also on a potential donor and fund raiser.


In the end I found the turbo after all -  my GTI had to make up for it - sometimes you need 210 PS (HP) to pull you out of a funk!

No comments:

Post a Comment