Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Back to DHP summer camp - and learning from the intern

Detroit Horse Power (DHP, www.detroithorsepower.org) summer camp started this week. They will run for the next eight weeks, with kids from different inner city schools every week.

This year I feel way more confident with the kids than last year at that time. Now the routine is familiar, same barn, and my favorite horse "Officer Doc" returned (he is a retired police horse that normally lives at the equine rescue farm Horses Haven). The majority of the horses used for the camp come for Horses Haven, and are usually senior citizens. Doc, for example, is in his late 20s, but still going strong.

I have a renewed admiration for riding instructors, especially those in summer camps. There is a reason why they are mainly in their early 20s... this is a physically -and mentally- quite demanding job. I suddenly remembered why I lost weight over the summer last year: About three hours of walking and jogging next to horse and student(s) will do that in no time. That doesn't take into account getting horses from the fields and back, grooming, tacking, etc. Add the summer heat and of course being constantly vigilant of horse and student plus giving instruction at the same time and I felt I more than deserved my (low-alcohol) beer at the end of the day! And of course, I still have my own riding and dog exercising to do.

But the demands are way outweighed by the joy I see in the students. One little boy yesterday for example was super quiet, didn't want to answer any questions, not even how he was doing - and as soon as we did some trot steps he giggled and had the biggest smile on his face!

This year, the staff is joined by a super fun and intelligent college student that acts as communications intern. I have hardly ever met somebody with the kind of enthusiasm and interest Hakeem shows. He does not have any horse experience but soaks every piece of information up. And I'm learning from him: Did you know that the hand sign for "call me" can also be used to teach how to pick up the reins??

Now I just have to stop grinning every time I'm called "Miss Birgit"!

"Officer Doc", the retired police horse, is an excellent teacher



No comments:

Post a Comment