Tuesday, June 12, 2018

"Less is more" - and my resident coach says "gentle half-halts are the trick!"

Riding homework this weekend had to be postponed again due to rain and stormy weather, but it didn't keep us from enjoying the trails yesterday. I was very happy that both boys didn't get rattled, the woods are dense and the high winds can make things scary for the horses. 

Today we had another good lesson, things are really coming together. Roz reminded me that the key to Remy is "Less is more". It was great that she rode him while I was gone, that way she got to find out how he ticks.

However, "Less is more" doesn't mean Remy gets to loaf around. He does have to make an honest effort, but instead of me being on his case all the time I give him the aids and then it's his turn. When he ignores me he gets a reminder, but otherwise I lay off. No more over-riding and micro-managing on my part. (Interestingly, I never ever micromanaged other horses, or people reporting to me...hmh??). While drilling works for a certain type of horse it's just not his thing. Understandably so. 

JP comes with me to my lessons most of the time (thankfully, because I don't enjoy maneuvering the trailer around a very narrow driveway) and he is very observant and has a great eye. Today our flying changes seemed almost effortless. JP pointed out afterwards that I used to block Remy before the changes with too strong half-halts, so he lost his forward movement in the canter and thus he was stymied by me. 

Once the canter is 'bouncy', round and forward I can go for it - taking the advise from my resident coach (and -in no particular order- barn manager, trailer-driver, cook, handyman, lover, horse-, dog- and cat-whisperer, husband, ...) to heart: "You need to do very gentle half-halts before the changes, and then you won't have any problems". Right he is!

Wonder what he will be charging me as consulting fee?? Better secure another bottle of Henri Bardouin*!

*Pastis from Provence

No comments:

Post a Comment