Sunday, June 10, 2018

From Galettes Bretonnes and Maultaschen back to peanut butter and spelt bread

Our trip to Germany and France was wonderful. It was great catching up with family and friends in France, while also exploring medieval towns in Brittany.
Rochefort-en-Terre
Castle in Brittany

We traveled back to Paris via the Loire valley and of course the highlight there: Saumur. We love the town of Saumur, and staying at the Hotel Anne d'Anjou (www.hotel-anneanjou.com). This gem right on the Loire river was built by architects of Napoleon I. Our room featured paintings depicting scenes from the Cadre Noir, the French National Riding School, currently home to approx. 350 horses. We took a tour and were able to watch some of the training sessions(www.ifce.fr/en/cadre-noir).
When your hotel room has a picture of dressage movements... you are in Saumur.

Below: Poster of the French National Riding School



Continuing onwards to Paris we caught up with our artist friend Jean-Louis. Aside from being a world-renowned artist Jean-Louis also is a fabulous horseman, having studied for seven years with Nuno Olivera. JL invited us to observe him working his Lusitano in-hand. What a treat!

My two favorite French horsemen

After a lovely time with friends in Paris it was time for JP and me to 'split' (temporarily!): JP went home and I continued on to Germany, where I was able to help my parents and also got to spend time with very close friends. The 20 hour trip home wasn't fun, but it's great to be home!

All was well while we were gone, Ellen, Ed & Angie, Carl, Roz and Nicole took awesome care of our four-legged friends. Yep, indeed, it took a small village!

I had been a bit worried how Roz would like Remy, as our training partnership had barely started before I left for Europe. Luckily all went well, Roz got Remy back on the straight and narrow (he had figured out how to get away with little effort), and Nicole took him galloping in the fields.

So now it's my turn again, and after almost three weeks without riding I am fumbling my way back into the swing of things. Remy's stint with Roz has made it easy for me, he is supple and relaxed, and we had two excellent lessons this week.

While I dearly miss the French Galettes Bretonnes (buckwheat pancakes) with goat cheese, walnuts and honey, followed by crepes with dark chocolate and bananas and a bolee de cidre or the German Maultaschen and Rothaus beer I think my body will thank me (I sure hope so!).

At least I kept some ties to Europe in my diet: Organic peanut butter from Aldi on Dinkelbrot (spelt bread)... and let's not forget the Lindt Piemonte (thanks, Stephanie!)

And really: What's a castle when you have your own private Park Avenue? (Path from our property to Kensington Park).


No comments:

Post a Comment