Thursday, February 9, 2012

Do I really need another book on Dressage?

Next to the horses another big passion of mine is reading. TV bores me and makes me cranky in no time. But give me good book and attempt to get my attention, let alone try to pry me away. No dice. I am old fashioned – I love good old hard covers, no Kindle for me. What would our house be without all the overflowing book cases and stacks of books? More organized, JP says. Less charming, I say. I just finished one of the most gripping books I’ve ever read “The Lucky Child” by Thomas Buergenthal. His story will stay with me for a very long time.

Books on Dressage I find sometimes a bit trying. Especially some of the more recent ones are either too basic, too dry, or somewhere in between. During my last trip to the tack store a new book caught my eye “Real Life Dressage” by Carl Hester and Polly Ellison. I’ve been a fan of Carl Hester for quite some time, so naturally I was drawn to this book, and I bought it. That’s another phenomenon: I go to the tack shop to pick up something simple like a brush – and I walk out with full shopping bags. Anyway, back to the book:

Carl did not disappoint. From the cover comment: ‘If there is a glimmer of hope’, says Carl, ‘it is worth persevering. It might take longer to get there, but if you, the rider, have the patience it may well still be possible – and this is just as true at the higher levels as it is at the lower ones.’

This book gives training advice from Novice to Grand Prix, and I really like it. The ‘stars’ of the book are all horses with real issues and problems. Carl’s common sense approach and exercises are easy to follow, and he always explains ‘why’.

I absolutely loved the final remarks, titled ‘Good Luck!’:
“Before signing off, I would like to stress the importance of listening to and enjoying your horses, for it is this that makes dressage, and riding generally, fascinating and pleasurable. Horses that are given time and patience can develop into stars. Remember to have fun along the way – I certainly have!” Carl Hester.

Well, Carl, I couldn’t have said it better myself!
So to answer my own question: Yes, I definitely needed to have this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment